Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Couch to 5k Day 1: Chia Seeds Gives Me Happy Running Energy!


C25K or 'Couch to 5k' is a program you can download as a phone app to help you train for a 5-kilometer run -- about 3 miles -- within 8 weeks. It provides a very reasonable pace even for those who are complete amateur runners, like myself.

I first started the program in September but stopped after Day 1 because I got distracted with other workout programs at the time (HIIT, barre, and traditional strength training with weights), and today I finally decided that it would be nice to go back to good old fashioned running as a more straightforward daily exercise habit.

Here are the results of Day 1...


Total distance: 1.74 miles
Total time: 30 minutes and 52 seconds
Calories burned: 232
Fat from calories: 50
Running speed: 10 minutes per mile (Level 6; I have short legs!)

*Remember that C25K Day 1 allows interval running and walking, which is why I ran for only a little over a mile!

I went a little over the 30-minute mark because I needed a longer cool down. I'm proud to say that I didn't have to hit the pause button! Although I got extremely tired and gasping loudly for breath after each 90-second interval run, I was still able to follow the Day 1 routine to a tee.


As much as I want to wake up every morning to run before going to work, I am too much of a night owl to commit to that (teacher blues). I go straight to the pantry or fridge after work to grab a pre-workout snack, and today I had a cup of Greek yogurt with pear and clementine slices, and a tablespoon of chia seeds. The latter gives me wonderful energy.

Are you also doing the C25k program? Let's motivate each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment